Monday, June 13, 2016

Study Abroad FAQ

How do I decide where to go for study abroad?
Start by looking into countries you really want to visit. Plan a budget for living expenses, the flight prices, housing, etc and determine which country fits under your budget. What languages can you speak? Are you comfortable in a country where you can't speak the language and you're up for the challenge of experiencing the unknown? Or would you prefer a country where you can understand the country (maybe your parents hometown)?

How do I make payments to the university?
Check the foreign wiring fees for your bank. Some banks charge less if you wire the amount online versus if you go to the bank and do it in person. (Note: Wiring takes several days, I would recommend wiring the amount at least a week before the payment is due to ensure that it arrives on time.)
  • Chase--$40 in person, $35 online
  • HSBC--$30 online and in person
To wire money, you need to know the following information:
  • Name of the recipient
  • Address of the recipient
  • Bank Account Number of the recipient
  • Bank Name of the recipient
  • Bank Address
  • SWIFT Code of the Bank
  • Amount to be Wired

What credit card/debit card should I use abroad?
It's best to use a credit card that does not have an international transaction fee. For me, I used HSBC, but Capital One also doesn't have a transaction fee. Look into your bank for more details on the international transaction fees. 
For debit cards, I recommend bringing one that either has no ATM fee internationally, or one that reimburses the ATM fee right away. I am currently using a TD bank debit card to withdraw cash. I had to upgrade to a premiere checking account in order to have the ATM fee reimbursed automatically. There will be a charge when you withdraw money from a Global ATM, but this fee should be reimbursed when you check your personal banking details online.

No comments:

Post a Comment